I was so excited to hear that my original recipe, Chocolate Hazelnut Cream Cheese Puffs, is a finalist in the Midwest Living Magazine’s fourth annual “Best of the Midwest” Recipe Contest. The recipe is featured in this month’s (March/April) magazine on page 24. It’s fun to see my name and recipe in print. I also won $300.00! These cream puffs with the creamy filling of cream cheese and chocolate hazelnut are DELICIOUS!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into eight pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all- purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 8 – ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 1 8 – ounce carton frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- For pastry: In a medium saucepan combine the water, butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Immediately add flour all at once; stir vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Prick puffs with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.
- For filling: In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1/3 cup of the chocolate-hazelnut spread. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Fold in the whipped topping until combined. Cover and chill until serving.
- Just before serving, cut tops from puffs; remove soft dough from inside. Spoon about 1/3 cup filling into bottom half of puff. Replace top half.
- Place the remaining 1/3 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 100% (high) power for 30 to 45 seconds or until softened, stirring once. Using a spoon, drizzle spread over puffs. Serve immediately; refrigerate leftovers.